Another way to read DearMYRTLE Columns
Having trouble with email? Consider receiving DearMYRTLE's Column via a
"Feed Reader" which alert you to the arrival of a new column, without
using your email program at all. Imagine that -- less email! <sigh>
- FIRST, YOU NEED A FEED-READER.
- THEN, YOU NEED TO ADD DearMYRTLE's
"FEED" TO YOUR LIST.
- THE ADVANTAGE OF DOING THIS is that you can go
one place and read MANY feeds, saving you from having to click all over the
internet to read:
- -- DearMYRTLE
- -- Dick Eastman Genealogy News
- -- Robert Ragan's Genealogy Facts & Tips
- -- Kimberly Powell's "About
- -- Genealogy Today
- -- Heritage Quest Magazine's Genealogy Blog
- -- Kansas City Public Library - Genealogy
- -- your hometown newspaper
FINDING A "FEED READER"
Windows Compatibale "FeedReaders"
Macintosh Compatible "Feed Readers"
Linux Compatible "Feed Readers"
Other unusual computer operating system
Web-Based "Feed Readers"
- * News is Free <http://www.newsisfree.com/>
- * MyYahoo <http://my.yahoo.com/>
(This last one is the one ol' Myrt also set up, so I can read feeds when I
am away from my home computer -- Perhaps at the library where I am doing
MYRT'S TOP PICKS
ITEM #1 SHARP READER:: Use this option IF
you want to install a program on your computer that will popup with a short
notice of the arrival of a new column, or merely list for you the links for all
new columns when you open the program.
- Download & install the free program from
- Go to "File" on the menu bar
- Click "Open RSS Feed"
- Paste in the following text: http://dearmyrtle.blogspot.com/atom.xml
While you are at it, add Dick
Eastman's Column as well: http://eogn.typepad.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/index.rdf
To see what's new, click the "Sharp
Reader" icon on your computer's desktop, to see what been published lately.
ITEM #2 - ADD DearMYRTLE FEED TO YOUR "MyYAHOO"
PAGE: Use this option IF you don't want to put another program on your
computer. You'd also use it if you travel, but don't want to miss a single
column. You would then merely go to MyYahoo.com to read all your
- If you haven't already set up your own "MyYahoo"
page, you'll want to do it. Have all but your personal email go to your free
<firstname.lastname@example.org> email account. Customize a page with weather,
news, comics, sports, and stocks as you wish. If you need some nifty
directions see Robert Ragan's website: <http://www.amberskyline.com/treasuremaps/RSS-MyYahoo-made-easy-2.html>
- Go to DearMYRTLE <http://www.DearMYRTLE.com>
- Click the "+ MyYahoo" button on the
bottom of any page.
- Click "ADD" and it will appear on the
BOTTOM of your MyYahoo page.
Of course, you may change the layout, and move
DearMYRTLE to the top of the page if you like! <grin>
Happy family tree climbing!
6023 26th Street West PMB 352
Bradenton, FL 34207