meet the first Saturday each month October - June.
from 9:15 am -11:30
at the South Branch of the Manatee
County Library, located on 6081 26th Street West, Bradenton, Florida.
The library is in the
Bayshore Crossings Shopping Center, south of Kash 'n' Karry near
Peaches and Capalbo's Pizza Buffet. The red star on this map
is actually across the street from the library, but MapQuest
just couldn't get it straight. I've drawn an arrow to show
the position of the library. - Myrt :)
|Directions From Sarasota:
Drive North on US 41 to left on Bayshore Gardens
Parkway. Turn right on 26th Street West, proceed to
right into Library parking lot.
Directions from Cortez
Road and Desoto Square Mall:
Drive West on Cortez to left on 26th Street West.
(Shell Station on corner.) Continue past Manatee
Community College to left into parking lot for
TOPICS - The plan is to spend:
30% PAF & other genealogy programs (FTM, FOW, UFT, GENERATIONS, TMG,
30% Internet genealogy
30% How-to (genealogy basic research)
10% general free-for-all
This table has the outline
for "projected" topics of discussion. We are very adaptable, as
new program enhancements may preempt the discussion of a topic on this list
for a given date. However, we'll try to either discuss the topic in the MANASOTA
PAF NEWS or tackle it at the next month's meeting.
09:15am - 09:30am Welcome
09:30am - 10:15am Discussion
10:15am - 10:30am Refreshments
10:30am - 11:15am Discussion
11:15am - 11:30am Questions/Answers
If you've got any suggestions,
please take the time to write to our program chair, firstname.lastname@example.org . We try hard to meet the needs of our
members, by providing open discussion meetings of interest to
all. Click the DATE for each meeting, where we will link the newsletter to
print out for our discussions this year. If the date isn't clickable, we
haven't created the newsletter for that meeting yet!
- FGS/FSGS Convention Report (Barb Schulz & Pat Richley)
-- The Master Genealogist (free demo)
-- Family Tree Maker 11
-- RootsMagic: (free demo)
-- The Family History Library (IGI, AF, Census Index & Research Help)
- Looking to Join a Lineage Society?
- FREE 500 Brick Walls Offer from Family Chronicle
- Robert E. Lee Tree Toppled
- Rare 2-Page Kentucky Document
- Citing Military Titles in Genealogy Programs (Ed Gaulin)
- New Titles in our Video Library
- RootsMagic: Finding a GEDCOM File is Easy
- RootsMagic: Preventing Mistakes in Family Traditions
- More on Using the 1880 US Federal Census Index at FamilySearch.org
- Plans for upcoming meetings
|1 November 2003
- Spotlight on RootsMagic with guest instructors (Buy one
from Myrt at the Oct meeting so you'll be prepared with questions
for our other PAFUG members.)
- CookBook Maker software program.
|6 December 2003
- Using Excel to keep track of your CD & booklist with guest
instructor Catherine Dente.
- GENBOOK demo (We will make a group order following this session)
- PAF and why we like it.
- Family History CD (a program to create multi-media CDs for your
|3 January 2004
- All about PALMS for genealogists (Maybe Myrt will get one for
- Legacy Family Tree & its genealogy lessons.
- PDF files from RootsMagic to make a book.
- Family Tree Maker family book options.
|7 February 2004
- Importing & Exporting GEDCOM files, a comparison between FTM,
RootsMagic, PAF, Legacy and The Master Genealogist.
- AniMap (access to thousands of old maps on CD)
|6 March 2004
- Deciding on a digital camera - an overview of what members are
using and would like to purchase.
- Inserting photos, scanned documents in various genealogy programs.
|3 April 2004
- Myrt won't be here, so we have to decide on an alternative
|1 May 2004
- Using Family History Centers Wisely (with the advent of the
|5 June 2004
- Preparing for a research trip to Washington, DC.